If you’re like most people in the Washington DC area, improving your quality of life is the main reason you’re considering remodeling your home. Engaging a talented, integrated firm that will understand your aesthetic sensibilities is likely your first hurdle.
How will you discern and choose a firm with the design and construction capabilities and processes to usher you from a preliminary thought to an exquisite conclusion?
Our proven design-build delivery process has benefited clients for over 25 years by helping them achieve extraordinary results from their remodeling projects.
THREE-PHASE DESIGN-BUILD PROCESS
Our streamlined design-build process takes you from preliminary ideas through construction completion in three simple phases and two follow-up stages.
Initial Design Phase
This is, perhaps, the most deceptively important phase of the design-build process. Your design vision, whether specific or vague, is our architect’s primary concern.
- The design team measures the applicable areas of the existing house and produces as-built drawings.
- Existing site conditions are evaluated and recorded.
- Zoning, easement, and environmental issues are evaluated.
- Your Architect and kitchen and bath designer use a combination of hand sketches, renderings, and computer drawings to produce design comps.
- Ballpark costs for construction and budgets for interior finishes are established.
- Designs and accompanying ballparks are presented for your review and comment.
- Revisions are made to meet your needs, budget, and aesthetic sensibilities.
Design Development Phase
After the initial design and budget have been established you’re given a slot on our construction schedule that coincides with completion of the remaining design detail work.
- A subcontractor meeting is held at your house so that project craftsmen, with architectural plans in hand, can evaluate and troubleshoot their areas of responsibility.
- Kitchen and bath designers work closely with you to complete the design of the interior spaces.
- Any major structural engineering issues are addressed.
- Any zoning or environmental site issues are resolved.
- Options you may be considering are decided upon.
- A final project cost is determined.
- All project documents are reviewed with you.
The final phase of the project includes all aspects of the design-build process, including the following:
- Construction Documents are assembled and completed.
- Permit documents are prepared and submitted to the county reviewer.
- Specialty items such as windows, cabinets, stone, etc. are ordered so they arrive when needed for installation.
- Before the actual construction begins, your project manager conducts a formal review process of all project information in our office and at your home.
- A pre-construction conference at your home puts you and your project craftsmen on the same page for all on-site particulars, which include the location of dumpster and delivered materials; where the job-log will be posted, hours of operation, whether there are pet considerations, timing of demolition, and many other items.
- Start of construction – for many projects this means demolition, while for others it means excavation and masonry work.
- Construction progresses per the construction schedule through completion.
- During the last week or two of work, you will perform a Walk-through and punch list preparation and completion.
Our client relationship continues beyond completion of the Three-Phase Design-Build Process. Commonwealth will perform a free, one-year tune-up where issues such as the following are addressed: separation of seams in trim due to shrinkage are caulked and touched-up; separation of woodwork and cabinetry due to shrinkage is repaired; cabinet doors and drawers are operating properly; interior doors and hardware are balanced and close properly; etc.
Two Year Warranty
At the close of your project, Commonwealth will prepare a Warranty Binder including final inspection documentation, a copy of the building permit, a warranty certificate and applicable product warranties. We stand behind our services and provide all clients of the firm a 2-year workmanship warranty.