Home » Whole House Remodel, Rambler Home, McLean, VA
Complete modernization and reconfiguration of the interior design of a one-story, 3,500SF rambler-style home in McLean, VA. The project included:
- Redesigning the kitchen to improve workflow, open the floor plan, maximize space, better integrate adjacent eating areas, and modernize aesthetics. Additional details:
- The previous kitchen design was cramped and outdated. The space was chopped up with too many walls, which we strategically removed to open things up. A massive range hood had become the focal point of the room because of its disproportionate size. We installed a new commercial-grade stove/range on an exterior wall, between existing windows. A range hood cabinet was built into the design of the space rather than cluttering the view of the kitchen. A pot filler faucet was added over the stove for functionality and an interesting visual element.
- Replaced a long peninsula island that blocked off the kitchen from the breakfast area with a large, functional, eat-at island that includes a microwave drawer.
- Widened doorways to open the floor plan into an adjacent dining and breakfast area, and installed new structural beams.
- Installed custom-painted cabinets with walnut drawer boxes to hold kitchen utensils. The top tray glides back to reveal another level of storage underneath. Drawers with pegs serve as placeholders for dishes in addition to traditional cabinet space.
- Upgraded the foyer and removed a wall to open the floor plan.
- Remodeled a curved staircase leading to the basement and opened the wall to install a unique curved wall powder room.
- Renovated the hallway that leads to an indoor pool and created a pool bathroom with an arched mirror and fitted furniture sink cabinet.
- Expanded and modernized the master bathroom within the footprint of the house. Replaced a tile platform tub with a sleek standalone tub. Enlarged the shower significantly, and tucked the toilet into its own area for privacy. Installed polished nickel and lucite fixtures throughout the master bathroom and mounted lighting onto the face of the vanity mirror.
- Upgraded and modernized the look of two fireplaces, one in a sitting room and one in a living room, with precast stone mantels.
- Installed custom built-in cabinets in the living room.
- Installed lucite wall accents, as well as unique ceiling-mount chandeliers and hand, sketched light fixtures throughout the home.